Saturday 9 June 2012

It's my workout and I'll cry if I want to....

Today a strange thing happened to me...it has happened before after my first 10 k run and after my first half marathon and to be honest, after some of the Fatburner Classes run by Kath at Inbalance Fitness!  It only happens after intense exercise and has me flummoxed ( what a cool word...flummoxed.  An Awesome medal for the person who created it)

What is this strange thing?

I cry.

Now it's not a sad cry, or a grieving cry....it's more like.... relief I am guessing.  I've felt like this before when my children have been in hospital and I'm worried out of my mind. But when it's all over and there's nothing to worry about, I want to sit down and BAWL!

Today was a Super Saturday Session or an SSS.  It was SSS 600 day today...60 reps of 10 different body weight exercises...timed.  I managed to complete all 600 reps in  21mins 5 secs. It was hard, I hurt, I wanted to be sick partway through the double crunches, I started cursing 10 reps into tricep dips, I wanted to give up when the push ups started. But I pushed through and completed it.  I DID IT!  And I was PROUD!

But then , the tears wanted to come to the party too.  What is wrong with me?  I'd just done something I didn't think I could do and I was HAPPY! So why rush into the shower to crack the sooks?

An article helped explain possible reasons why....


It's nice to know I'm not the only one who cries after a workout LOL.

The writer suggests that intense exercise can release pent up emotions.  I know I feel better after a little cry AND after exercise. I know I spend a lot of time thinking I'll never be able to do what I want to achieve, worry about meeting my goals or making a fool of myself.....and the Miss Competitive inside me likes to be able to be among the best in things so squeezes the pressure on the Miss Proud me to push me harder.  

I constantly surprise myself with what I can do.  Each time I achieve something new, it's incredible, even my own Self cannot believe I have done it.  That in itself is amazing...our own conscious minds are being surprised by what our bodies are capable of. Makes me wonder who is in fact running the whole show!  Certainly not the bit I think is me! LOL

So perhaps it's a combination of relief I have not let myself down, relief the pressure has eased and I don't have to be so strong for a little bit, happiness I am worthy or better than I think I am and that I CAN do it after all.

Or maybe it's just relief it's over.... :)




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like exercise is as good as therapy! You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete