Wednesday 10 October 2012

Habitual User

I don't know about you, but those two words, habitual user, conjures up images of a drug addict, huddled in a room somewhere stoned out of their minds.  A dirty image, that breaks your heart. Someone who doesn't deny themselves what they are chasing, even though what they are chasing is death. You could say they lack self disciline to make better choices.

But think of the words self discipline and what image does it conjure up?  To me I see army fatigues, boot camps, misery, pain and self denial.  Not very motivating images really...unless it's the Commando doing the yelling then hmmm, yes, well, enough said.


Ok, time to stop being silly.

A friend sent me a link on self discipline....here is the article, very thought provoking
http://www.cheladavison.com/2012/10/are-willpower-and-discipline-just-self-hatred-in-disguise-why-getting-leverage-on-ourselves-usually-fails/

After reading this, I wondered....how do I feel about that?  It's about self talk and how we push ourselves instead of facing up to things we may need to.  Guilty here. Does this mean we shouldn't push? That we shouldn't try to exercise self discipline? Does it mean that I can blame everything on some unresolved issues?

Personally, I think a lot of people reading that article will use it as an excuse. People who would point at me and say I have unresolved issues (ahem and who hasn't?) thats why I go to gym all the time, how sad for me. But I see working out as a HABIT, I go regularly, I physically and emotionally miss it when I don't go.  A lightbulb went off.

 I am a habitual gym user.

There it is.  Habitual user.

I have been working out 6 days a week for a year now.  Some weeks I may only have 4 or 5 days but I am always active.  A complete turn around from what I was....sit on the couch and love the midday movie tearjerker/real life story.  But now, if I miss a workout, I get twitchy.  I get a little irritated way more easily. I pace around the house, fiddle with things, can't get my mind to settle. 

Withdrawal symptoms much??? I don't crave a hit or a cigarette, I crave a run, I crave a chance to stretch muscles and move.

But this isn't a negative to me.  Creating the habit of reaching for an apple than a handful of maltesers is a good habit. Eating clean and choosing clean food when eating out is a good habit.  Working out is a good habit. Wanting to move my muscles the way they are designed to is a good habit.


All these habits are promoting and fuelling my body and my mind.  I feel better than I have ever done before.  I have more energy, I am stronger, I am more confident, I smile more, I am more relaxed.

We all operate with varying amounts of self control.  We all have habits.  It's self control and habit  that get us out of bed and choose to do a myriad of things....shower, prepare food, brush your teeth, care for children or others, earn money....self control and habits are a GOOD thing. 

So why not choose to create positive habits?  Why not create a habit of walking or running in the morning for 30 mins?  Why not create the habit of drinking a glass of water instead of diet soft drink?  Why not create the habit of doing something GOOD for yourself and talking GOOD WORDS to yourself.  Feed your body and feed your heart.






There is only one YOU.  Only one life. Only this day. Once you are gone there will never be another you. Don't wait until you see the end to try and hang on.  That's like running down the Up escalator.
Yesterday is over, we only take the lessons we learned from that day to further our actions and learning today.  Tomorrow is just a measure of time, it doesn't actually exist as yet, so why wait for something non existent? Make a good habit today. Repeat it tomorrow.  And the next day and the next.  Soon, it will be automatic and it will be hard to imagine life otherwise.
But don't take my word for it, see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment