Friday 30 November 2012

Taking it for granted...

I've been MIA for a while, but it was for a good cause...after wearing glasses since I was 13 years old, I am now spectacle-free.....

Yep, I took the plunge and had laser eye surgery.





Noooooo....  not laser guns, all safe. Stand down.

It is a very quick process for all I had to be there for hours.  After a final test for my eyes, I was given some Ativan to take which put me to sleep.  I was woken for the procedure, given anaesthetic eye drops and a clamp was attached to my eye.  Look at the green light and within 20 seconds all done. Same with the other eye.

I was on the medication for 4 days after the surgery, and antibiotic eye drops 4 times a day, plus lubricating drops and Vitamin c.  I slept a lot due to the medication.  I had 'bandaid' clear contact lenses applied to assist in protecting and healing for those 4 days and had to sleep in plastic shields which made me look like a very unsexy wasp.  But I could SEE!


It is incredibly liberating being able to see. For those of you with good vision, you might not realise this. Sight is something we take for granted.  But let me put it to you this way, as 10 things I've noticed with no glasses.

1.  I can shave my legs in the shower and SEE what I am doing.
2. I don't have to have my nose touching the mirror to be able to put on makeup.
3. I don't have to carry a case with my prescription sunnies in, nor do I have to change glasses everytime I go from indoors to outdoors and vice versa
4. I can go swimming at the pool and be able to see my kids at all times!
5. I don't have little indents on the sides of my nose from my glasses
6. I can run without them fogging up on a cold or wet day
7.  I can watch TV in bed.
8. I don't have to clean my eyeballs so I can see
9.I can have a good "pash on" without having to take them off ;)
10. I don't have to worry abut my eyes being knocked off with some extreme dancing.

My eyes are good.  I'm off the antibiotic drops and on to steroid drops 4 times a day and regular checkups for the next few months and then done. It is amazing.

Every time I look at something it feels amazing. Knowing I can do so much more without as much inconvenience is amazing. Mind you, I've been off any exercise for about 2 1/2 weeks which is driving me INSANE and I cannot wait until I can be up and at it at the Sussan Womens Funrun this Sunday. I've had to watch my nutrition levels to keep on par and have done successfully, even still losing a little bit more weight. And for someone who is go go go all the time, I've had to learn patience....




A bloody hard virtue but one nevertheless.Although I don't see why " Hurry Up, coming through" can't be a virtue too LOL

The compliments have been many. Working in a kindergarten meant the children were totally thrown by me without glasses and a lot of questions about what shop can I buy new eyes from. Massive street cred from the boys when the word laser was used. Parents have said I look younger, so different. (Hmmm not sure how to take that one....)

So, finally, with my new eyes, here's my to do list for this week...




No comments:

Post a Comment