Wednesday 1 May 2013

BEST.


I'll never be the best, the fastest, the prettiest, the smartest.
 I'll never be the strongest, the calmest, the trickiest, the fanciest.
But I will always be trying my best.








EVERY accomplishment, no matter how small, should be celebrated, remembered and cherished. It is my effort that brought me there, my hard work, my decisions.

It's not 'just' a 5km run, it's not 'just' another weight session, it's not 'just' a healthy choice.

It's the physical evidence of what I can achieve.

Each achievement began with me deciding to do it. Every time I lace up my joggers, and walk out that door, I am deciding to work towards achievement. I am deciding to practise until I reach it.  After all, that's what training is....practising over and over until you get it.


 But if I start worrying about 'being the best' or who is better than me, I lose sight of the goal. I get distracted and just like looking away from the road while driving, I drift away from  the direction I want.  Sometimes I crash and burn....because I took my eyes off the goal ahead of me and instead looked behind or beside me.





To be the best I can be, it is not enough to merely exist. To find and reach my potential requires action. I would never have imagined in my 40th year, that I would shake off the couch potato and run a half marathon, take part in a triathlon, run an endurance race on a mountain, learn to lift weights, find a love for writing, find a love for life.


And I have only just scratched the surface of what I can do, it is a discovery I make every single day.



Excellence is not about BEING the best, it is about DOING your best. 

And I can do this in 4 steps.
1. Decision.   2. Action.    3. Evaluation.  4. Repeat.

Decide what I want to achieve.

Put the decision into action by DOING what is needed.

Evaluate the level of success...(and there is always an amount of success, even if it was just trying in the first place.)

Repeat.  Do over. Keep doing. Even if you reach what you think is the highest, the best, do more.  There is always more to learn, more to give, more to do.



3 comments: